This month's block of the month is
The Exploding Block
presented by Becky Martin.
It’s a Missouri Star Quilt Company pattern.
She made the demo block in some fun 1930 reproduction fabrics.
This is a table topper Becky made ....... sew easy, sew quick and sew cute !
Exploding Block---for March 2015
1. Choose 3 coordinating spring fabrics. Use contrasting mediums and lights if you want, whatever looks good to you! From one, cut a 5-inch square. (I’ll call this the “cut square.”) From each of the other two, cut a 4-inch square.
2. Lay the two 4-inch squares right sides together. Stitch ¼ inch all the way around. You can sew off the ends, or just pivot at the corners.
3. Draw an X from corner to corner on one of the squares. Carefully pull the two fabrics apart and cut along the lines of the X, to the stitching at the corners. (Cut only one of the squares.)
4. Press the block open.
5. Sew the resulting square to the 5-inch cut square, right sides together, ¼ inch all around. Use the edges of the cut square as your sewing guide.
6. Draw an X on the cut square. Again, carefully pull the fabrics apart and cut along the lines of the X, to the stitching at the corners.
7. Press open. The result is a 6 1/2-inch quilt block.
To watch this done, go to Missouri Star Quilt Company