February 17, 2015 Meeting Minutes
The meeting was called to order by President Joy Ivy.
Roll was called: there were 20 members present, 1 new member- Connie Hansen and 2 visitors.
Roll call question was: Who or what is your quilting inspiration.
Minutes were accepted as written. Motion was made to accept by Sherri Marshall, 2nd by LaTrelle Locks.
Treasure report read by Shelia Smith. Motion was made to accept by Angela McCorkle, 2nd by Doniene Fullagar.
Standing Committee Reports:
Sunshine: Robin Moody states that Sherry Benbow is doing well. Card was sent to the Jackson family. Wanda Jackson had cataract surgery on Monday.
Wee Care: Ruby Goodwin stated she has 25 blanket/quilts to take to the hospital and she has a sack of fabric if anyone would like to make blankets for Wee Care out of it.
CPS: Nancy Tubb has 25 bags and 1 quilt to deliver. She also stated they would accept quilts of any size for any age.
1. We will not be taking the donation quilt to the Hamilton Spring Fling as expected. The spots were filled up before our deposit arrived and the check will be sent back. The guild members were asked about other places to take it to sell tickets. Vickie Mazurek said she would ask about taking it to the Comanche Livestock Auction on a sale day. Sherri Marshall volunteered to go with her if that comes about. It was discussed and decided the winner of the quilt will be drawn at the April meeting and 10% of the proceeds will be donated to the Ark Domestic Violence Shelter.
2. The November Magazine Challenge projects were revealed. Pictures and descriptions are posted on the guild website.
1. Mildred Turner informed members that Quilt Con is Austin is this weekend.
2. Vickie Mazurek presented a new quilt guild challenge called the Eight 1/8th’s Challenge. Eight fat 8th bundles were made up from 8 one yard cuts of fabric donated to Vickie by quilt designer Debby Kratovil. Eight names were drawn to participate. They are Donna Swanger, Connie Hart, Mildred Turner, Wanda Jackson, Jeanie Ortegon, Joy Ivy, Connie Hansen, and Shelia Smith.
3. BOM was presented by Becky Martin. Becky also brought batik signature blocks for members to sign.
Show and Tell:
1. Connie Hansen brought her embroidery quilted quilt called Feathered Star.
2. Connie Hart showed 2 family album quilts she finished that had been started by her husband’s grandmother.
3. LaTrelle Locks showed a quilt she made for her grandson Cruz, called Cruz’s Motorcycles.
4. Millie Schwab showed the quilt she made from gray fabrics for her grandson Justin.
5. Mildred Turner brought a polar fleece and minky throw to show.
6. Sherri Marshall showed a Kim Diehl wall hanging she made from a pattern she got by going to the First Wednesday Club at Angela McCorkle’s.
7. Jeanie Ortegon showed some pot holders she made from fabric left over from her Magazine Challenge.
1. Fat quarters: won by Connie Hart
2. BOM: won by Millie Schwab
3. Penny Auction Winners: Connie Hart, Millie Schwab, Sherri Marshall and Joy Ivy.
4. Door Prize winners: Nancy Tubb, Mildred Turner, LaTrelle Locks, Sherri Marshall, Joy Ivy and Joy Early
The meeting adjourned for a program presented by Doniene Fullagar “How to Free Motion Quilt on a Domestic Sewing Machine”.
Respectfully submitted by Vickie Mazurek, Secretary