March 17, 2015 Meeting Minutes
The meeting was called to order by President Joy Ivy.
Roll was called: The roll call question was, “What is your favorite quilting tool?” There were 20 members present, and we welcome 2 new members, Martha Hackney and Muriel Lamkin. 1 visitor, Connie Hart’s grandson.
Minutes were accepted as written. Motion made to accept by Connie Hart, 2nd by LaTrelle Locks.
Treasure report read by Shelia Smith. Motion to accept was made by Jeanie Ortegon, 2nd by LaTrelle Locks.
Standing Committee Reports:
Sunshine: Sherry Benbow doing well and hopes to return to the meetings soon. Stella Burns is improving. Hospice is now helping Ann Hunter. Terry Reed is beginning to walk after her last surgery.
Wee Care: Three were 3 quilts donated this month.
CPS Bags: No report this month.
1. Seven members attended QuiltCon in Austin on February 20th. They expounded on how exciting and different modern quilting is compared to traditional quilting.
2. Joy reminded the members that the drawing for the donation quilt will be at the April 21st meeting and that Vickie has the tickets if anyone needs more to sell.
3. Next we had the Eight 1/8ths Challenge reveal. The 8 very creative ladies who were lucky enough to participate were: 1. Jeanie Ortegon- 4 zipper bags, tissue holder, coasters and a hot pad. 2. Wanda Jackson- Jesters bags filled with candy, cards and other goodies. 3. Shelia Smith- Cowboy quilt game board. 4. Connie Hart- Little Cowboy and Horseshoes wall-hanging. 5. Connie Hansen- Kenny Rogers, Gambler meets Guns and Roses quilt. 6. Donna Swanger- Dead Man’s Hand market bag made for her Dad. 7. Joy Ivy- Quilt Across Texas quilt. 8. Mildred Turner- Embroidered Cowboy quilt. Vickie showed the books, cd’s and fabric added to the prize packages sent by Debby Kratovil. Debby will judge the entries and the winners will be announced at the May meeting.
1. Vice President Millie Schwab proposed the possibility of the guild purchasing a design board so it will be easier to show the block of the month and an Accu Quilt Go fabric cutter or a Scan & Cut. She states it would be a useful tool for all guild members to use. Vickie Mazurek proposed it could be purchased from the sales of the 2015 Ranchers Daughter donation quilt. A committee was appointed to research and give a report on the prices and advantages of the machines at the May meeting. The committee is as follows, LaTrelle Locks-Chairman, Donna Swanger, Anglea McCorkle and Millie Schwab.
2. BOM- Tossed 9 Patch by Angela McCorkle. Please use bright, happy fabrics. Vickie will put it on the website under the tab BOM Schedule. April BOM will be presented by Nancy Tubb, May BOM by Sherri Marshalll.
1. Fat quarters: won by Joy Ivy
2. BOM: won by Vickie Mazurek
3. Penny Auction Winners: Joy Ivy, LaTrelle Locks and Biolanda Villapando
4. Door Prize Winners: Wanda Jackson, Debra Revay, LaTrelle Locks, and Mildred Turner
Show and Tell:
1. Becky Martin showed the Pink Hope Quilt made from the string blocks the guild presented to her last November.
2. Jonna Burkes showed her embroidered A to Z Snowmen of the Month quilt.
3. Millie Schwab showed a pillow case and a chevron quilt she made for her grandson Justin. She calls it “Grey Matters”.
4. Wanda Jackson showed what she called “Missing Link Quilt”. It is her February magazine challenge.
5. Connie Hart showed Kyla’s Quilt, fancy baby bibs, a crochet baby hat and a receiving blanket for her new grandbaby.
6. Vickie Mazurek showed a collage quilt called “As the Deer”.
Meeting adjourned for a program on how to make t-shirt quilts presented by Joy Ivy.
Respectfully submitted by Vickie Mazurek, Secretary