BROWNWOOD QUILT GUILD MINUTES ~ Tuesday, 18 August 2015
President Lana Webb called the Brownwood Quilt Guild meeting to order.
August birthdays were recognized: Happy birthday wishes to Pat Karnes, Sherri Marshall, Mildred Turner, Joy Ivy, and Martha Hackney.
Twenty-one members were in attendance.
Lana thanked Vickie Mazurek and Sherri Marshall for their outstanding work on the Guild website.
There were no corrections to be made to the Consent Agenda, so the Consent Agenda is accepted as presented.
* Robin has no report.
* Lana stated that Mildred Turner's husband, Hilton, is undergoing cancer surgery in Dallas at this hour.. Hilton is also Lana's brother.
* Lana received an e-mail from Daisy Huntsinger. Daisy fell recently and is not in attendance today.
* Biolanda is almost out of Wee Care blankets. She turns them over to Mrs, Carter at Brownwood Regional Hospital. She received a bag from Lana. Lana also made a walker cover and two NICU hearts and has the directions to share with Guild members to make the walker cover and NICU hearts.
* Lana and Mildred recently spent several hours working on the BQG materials and supplies that are stored in the meeting room's closet. Aside the Stash Sale fabrics and goodies, they discovered twelve bolts of fabric, numerous packages of batting, and Wee Care labels that are available for blankets. Guild members are urged to utilize these items for Wee Care projects.
* A request was made to make adult size bibs. Judy Tiedemann has an adult bib pattern that she will share.
* The story board that Millie made for BQG was broken somehow. Lana repaired it.
* BQG now owns a new AccuCutter and dies at a cost of $500.30. This was paid for out of the penny auction funds. The AccuCutter is to be available for Guild members to use.
* Several people are not getting e-mails regarding Guild. Please make sure that your e-mail is up to date in our records.
* Budget correction: $60.00 designated for the Brownwood Quilt Show trailer license tags should be taken from "expenses" and moved to "miscellaneous expenses". With motion made by Angela McCorkle and seconded by LaTrelle Locks, this was approved by acclimation.
* The Donation Quilt ticket sales are to begin as soon as a picture of the Quilt is taken. By unanimous vote, "Toys for Kids" will be the Guild's 2015 - 2016 charity of choice and will receive 10% of any and all ticket sales.
* The possibilities of displaying the Donation Quilt at the 2015 Brownwood Reunion and at the 2015 Comanche Pow Wow were discussed. The booth fee for the Reunion is $150.00. Judy Tiedemann volunteered to man the booth on opening Friday to sell donation tickets if the decision is made to contract for a Reunion booth. Saturday and Sunday are still open for Guild volunteers.
* Connie Hart is going to be displaying and selling her personal quilt creations at the annual Pow Wow in Comanche and has offered to display the Guild Donation Quilt in her booth. Someone else will have to be responsible for the Guild's Donation Quilt and ticket sales. The Pow Wow will be held in Comanche Park on the last weekend of September.
* re: Revision of by-laws: Lana has made a few minor revisions to the current Guild by-laws and has passed out copies of these changes for members to review. A vote to accept the changes will be made at next month's meeting.
* Sherri announced that Vida Weehunt is opening a new quilt shop in Early, Texas, scheduled to open by late September. The shop will be known as "Quilter's Hideout" and will be open for business on Friday afternoons, all day Saturdays, and on Sunday afternoons. Good luck and best wishes, Vida!
* Joy Ivy still has an abundance of Penny Auction tickets available.
BLOCK of the MONTH
"Bug Jars" was presented by Becky Martin. This block should measure 12" x 12". Hard copies of this block's directions were distributed to members in attendance.
DOOR PRIZE DRAWINGS
* LaTrelle = PATCHWORK QUILTING book.
* Judy = CHRISTMAS CREATIONS book.
* Connie = 3M bag
* Robin = pillow created by Millie
* Joy Ivy = sewing machine pad
* Robin = small bag
* Biolanda = small sewing bag
* Connie = sewing pad
* Sherri = tissue holder
* Connie = fat quarters
* Connie = July blocks of the month
SHOW and TELL
* Ruby Goodwin shared "Bear Paw", a hand-quilted quilt and pillow cover crafted by her talented daughter. The quilt and pillow cover were entered in the Extension Club show and won the First Place blue ribbon. They will be entered into the 2015 State Fair in September. She also showed a purse that her daughter crafted.
* Joy Early shared her unnamed blue ribbon winning small quilt .
* Sherri Marshall shared her finished Retreat UFOs:
(1) 2012 retreat's "Snail Trail"
(2) 2013 retreat's Elanore Burns's "Double Pinwheel"
(3) 2015 Angela McCorkle's design, "Retreat Stars"
Sherri reminded us that Angelas' annual Retreat will be held August 21, 22, 23.
* Chloe and Jonna Burkes showcased "Chloe's Doodles". This quilt was fashioned from original drawings made by Chloe when she was four to six years old. Jonna transferred the pictures to cloth and Chloe carefully hand-embroidered each of them.
* Angela McCorkle shared her "Four Patch Frenzy" quilt, "Moziac" quilt, and "Dress Form Collage" art quilt.
* LaTrelle Locks showed her "Ten Minute Block" made out of Moda fabric that was given her by a friend. The design is from The Fat Quarter book, followed by her "Moziac" quilt.
* Connie Hart displayed her reversable machine-pieced and hand-quilted triple Irish chain "Trent and Kristen's Quilt" and "Linda's Quilt".
* Debra Revay showed "Tumbler Quilt" that she made for her grandbaby.
Since Mildred Turner is with her husband in Dallas for his cancer surgery and couldn't be at today's meeting to conduct the scheduled program, Lana demonstrated the Martelli Zip Binding System in Mildred's place.
The meeting was then adjourned. The next Guild meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, 15 September 2015.
Respectfully submitted by
Judy Tiedemann, Secretary