Minutes of Meeting, June 21, 2016
The Brownwood Quilters Guild met for their regular monthly meeting on Tuesday, June 21, 2016, at 9:30 at the First Christian Church in Brownwood. Lana Webb, President, called the meeting to order. 18 members were present, plus one visitor, Julie Ivy, granddaughter of Joy Ivy.
Lana installed the officers for the 2016-2017 year:
· Lana Webb, President
· Jeanie Ortegon, 1st Vice President
· Donna Swanger, 2nd Vice President
· Becky Martin, Secretary
· Connie Hansen, Treasurer
Lana received a gift (gift certificate from Quilters' Hide Out and one from Bee's Quilting and Gifts in Winters) and card for completing her term as president and agreeing to serve again this year.
Mildred Turner presented the program, a demonstration of the Martelli Zip Binding technique and the Curve Master attachment.
The Consent Agenda was reviewed and accepted with a motion by Joy Ivy and a second by Vickie Mazurek.
Vickie Mazurek reported that 110 pillowcases have been made and donated by members -- 16 have been taken to a nursing home in Comanche and 16 to one in DeLeon.
Lana reminded the group of the “mini” quilt show planned for October 1 in conjunction with the Caps and Corks event sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce.
Lana reported on matters discussed by the executive committee which had met earlier in the morning. Possible changes to consider concern the fat quarter drawing, the donation quilt, and small changes in the by-laws. No action was taken on these items. Also members were asked to consider their preferences for program topics for the program by Shaula Patton on 04/18/17. The members present expressed an interest in having Shaula instruct us on the Confetti Collage technique.
Block of the Month for July: (by Connie Hart) a 12 ½ inch (unfinished) block, pattern of your choice, using black, white, and the 3 colors from a paint swatch. These paint swatches were passed around for members to choose. You could also pick up a paint swatch at Home Depot or other store.
· Joy Ivy won the annual club drawing of a quilt top or kit. This year was a top made by Lana using the star-in-a-star pattern.
· Connie Hansen won the BOM drawing.
· Vickie Mazurek won the fat quarters.
· Program auction prizes donated by Vickie were won by Biolanda Villalpando (jewelry bag), Joy Ivy (quilt patterns and template), Muriel Lamkin (quilt pattern and template), Millie Schwab (Idaho lily table runner kit), Joy Ivy (Steady Betty), and Jeanie Ortegon (Best Press).
Show and Tell
· Bow Ties and Butterflies, by Connie Hansen
· Friendship throw quilt, made by Sherry Benbow as a gift for Joy Ivy
· Baby doll blanket top, made (yesterday!) by Julie Ivy
· Girl’s sun dress (“pillowcase dress”) made by Mildred Turner
· Sampler quilt top, made by Becky Martin with blocks from her mother’s (Alice Young) collection
The next meeting on July 19 will be a summer picnic lunch, with fried chicken provided by the guild. Please bring side dishes of your choice. The program will be a UFO sewing day. Please bring a project in progress and “sit and sew” a while and visit with your guild friends.
Submitted by Becky Martin, Secretary