Minutes, Nov. 15, 2016
The Brownwood Quilters Guild met for its regular meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016, at the First Christian Church in Brownwood. Present were 24 members including new member Deborah Lehman, and two visitors: Julia McAnelly and Vickie Dutton.
President Lana Webb called the meeting to order. The consent agenda was approved, with a motion to accept by Vickie Mazurek and a second by Connie Hart.
Old Business: Lana reported that the need for CPS bags continues to increase. She encouraged everyone to make some and suggested staying after a meeting to sew these or blankets or pillow cases.
Connie Hart reported that the Chamber has asked us to come to the Corks and Caps Event next year. We voted previously not to make a donation quilt this year, but we could quilt one or even two of the old quilt tops and raffle them.
Lana showed us some possibilities for art work for the T-shirts.
New Business: The date for the December meeting was changed to Monday, Dec. 12, because of scheduling conflicts at the church. We will meet at 10:30. Everyone needs to bring 4 fat quarters for playing the Left/Right/Center game. Also, remember to bring your completed pot holder for the gift exchange. We will have a potluck meal, with the guild furnishing the meat.
The Chamber of Commerce is hosting the Christmas under the Stars Festival on Friday and Saturday, Dec. 2-3, from 4:00-8:00 pm at the Depot Plaza and Lehnis Railroad Museum. 2000-3000 people are expected. We have tentatively agreed to participate. Mildred Turner has already quilted one of the old donated quilt tops and we will raffle it off. Millie Schwab volunteered to do the binding. Contact Lana if you can sell tickets on either day.
BOM: Connie Hansen presented the BOM to be made for December, a Hexagon Trivet or Pot Holder to be made from your choice of scrap fabrics. Instructions are on the website.
* BOM: Connie Hart won the Dolly Madison star blocks.
* Layer cake squares (10-inch squares): Ann Turner
Show and Tell
* Sherri Marshall: T-shirt quilt
* Vickie Mazurek: a quilt to be donated to a charity; log cabin pattern made from layer cake fabric
* Vita Weehunt: Painted Ladies top, “beginner-friendly”
* Deborah Agnew: O’h Christmas Tree lighted wall hanging, using OESD designs for the embroidery
* Lana Webb: 7 projects for Christmas gifts, including a Texas wall hanging, a red and white disappearing 9-patch from BOM’s, Jungle Songs quilt, a Fly Away Ladybug top, and a disappearing 4-patch top from BOM’s and an unfinished Shoo Fly top.
* Joy Ivy: a Comfort of Psalms wall hanging, which was a gift from Lana, and a completed T-shirt quilt
BOM presenter next month will be Millie Schwab. Program Prizes next month will be by Charlene Cortez.
Program: Charlene Cortez led a workshop on the Folded Star table runner. Everyone who had registered for this workshop received a kit with precut pieces and embroidered border pieces, plus instruction pages. Several membersstayed to make these beautiful table runners at the meeting.
Submitted by Becky Martin, Secretary
Post a Comment