Minutes, Feb. 21, 2017
The Brownwood Quilters Guild met for its regular meeting on Tuesday, February 21, 2017, at the First Christian Church in Brownwood. 24 members were present and 3 visitors: Gladys Paul, Myra Patterson, and Jessica Reynolds.
President Lana Webb called the meeting to order. Roll call was answered by everyone telling of a craft they enjoy or have enjoyed in addition to quilting. (Answers ranged from embroidery, knitting, and sewing to china painting, stained glass, and doll making!) The consent agenda was approved, with a motion to accept by Ruby Goodwin and a second by Jan Cates
* Lana said that there are a few extra guild t-shirts if someone else wants one. The cost is $10 per shirt.
* The Hamilton Extension Education Association’s Spring Fling will be April 1 at the Hamilton High School Chandler Craig Auditorium, 611 S. College.
* Lana and Jan had attended the Waco Quilt Show and reported on the quilts and vendors. Lana had information about a number of other shows and shops.
* Ideas were shared about CPS bags, pillowcases, crocheted or knitted caps for newborns, and dog beds—all as possible projects using our skills and extra fabric.
* Yards of fabric and stacks of quilt books and patterns and tubs of scraps were available for everyone to take home. (The rule was: If you are here, you have to take something!)
BOM: Charlene Cortez presented the BOM for March, a Double Irish Chain in light, medium, and dark greens and cream. Charlene will email you the directions, and they will be available on the website
* BOM Valentine blocks: Deborah Lehman
* Layer cake squares (10-inch squares): Joy Ivy
* Program auction prizes donated by Sherri Marshall: Carol Bullion, Jeanie Ortegon, Biolanda Villalpando, Jessica Reynolds, Becky Martin, and Gladys Paul
Show and Tell
* Jessica Reynolds: Fruit Ladies
* Jan Cate: Celebration Quilt
* Wanda Jackson: Plaid Cats in My Garden
* Millie Schwab: Farm Girl Vintage blocks
* Joy Ivy: Melody’s quilt and dresser runner (for her newest great-granddaughter)
Petal Bag, a project she did with her 11-year-old granddaughter
* Gladys Paul: Geisha Wall Hanging
* Vita Weehunt: Starry Night
* Connie Hart: Larry’s Deer Camp Quilt
Program: Joy Ivy showed us how to make the Ten Minute Table Runner. She showed examples she had made using a wide variety of fabrics, colors, and decorative stitches. These table runners are quick and easy, make beautiful gifts, and are a way to use up some fabric! A Twelve Minute Gift Wrap Bag is a variation of this project.
BOM presenter for the March 21 meeting will be Marianna Graves. Program Prizes will be by Muriel Lamkin.
Submitted by Becky Martin, Secretary